Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Chapter 10 and End of The Psychopath Test

Jon Ronson in Chapter 10 talks about how identifying mental disorders was developed and how it may be overused to diagnose patients.  He gives the example of children who where overly hyper and challenging being diagnosed with childhood bipolar disorder.  Rebecca Reilly, a child diagnosed with bipolar disorder, died from an overdose of antipsychotic drugs that were prescribed for her bipolar disorder.  Rebecca's death could have been avoided if she was correctly diagnosed instead of the doctors just assuming she had bipolar disorder.  Throughout this chapter Ronson also discussed how the different versions of the DSM were made and how new disorders were added to the updated versions.

I enjoyed reading this book because it forced me to look at psychopaths in a way I never have before.  I learned a lot from this book about different types of people and how we judge one another in our society.  I also learned about the value of trust.  Thinking about how many psychopaths could be out there makes you wonder who, in the world, you can really trust.  I think Ronson was very brave and daring to meet with the different individuals that he interviewed throughout the book.  I know that I would not want to be caught anywhere near half of these individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment